Friday, March 4, 2011

::Team Twilight:: Fan Fiction Friday



I know what you’re thinking, “It’s Friday and you’re ready to party.” Well, keep your shirts on and while we don’t have beads to throw at ya, Lab Tech Andi has been scouring the Big Easy looking for fics worthy to throw. So if you’re looking for something hot, head to the blue door behind the shack, knock the tune of “It’s a Wonderful World” by Louis Armstrong and the password is “’Nawlin’s”. Be Safe!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Once the activity from the Feds died down at the Shack, Alice and Jasper joined us at the safe house with a tour bus and a lot more luggage than only two people needed. So I thought I’d ask, “Hey, Alice what’s up with all the bags?”

“It’s so close to Mardi Gras, I thought we’d head on to New Orleans instead of going back to the Shack.”

“We’re going to Mardi Gras?” I asked

“Yep, and we’ll be there a few days early, so I thought we’d do some fun stuff while we’re there.” Alice responded and proceeded to outline our trip.

Once we’d arrived in the city, Alice had a bunch of crazy activities planned. One afternoon she thought it would be fun to visit a fortune teller. Everybody took turns getting their palms read, and after it we were finish we laughed that she predicted Edward would become a millionaire, Rosalie would have 3 children, and Alice would die at an early age.

Another afternoon, Alice scheduled us a private little Sookie Stackhouse tour, which was very fun because Rosalie and Emmett pretended to be Sookie and Bill the whole time. I suspect Emmett had a little too much fun with that one.

We visited museums, plantations, and cemeteries, even went shopping but the funniest was the afternoon we walked into a voodoo shop and the poor woman running it nearly had a heart attack. She ran up to me, grabbed my arm, and thrust a silver cross in the direction of the vampires that had walked in with me. “Stay back! I know what you are!” she shouted at them. “And I’m not going to let you harm this girl!”

“Harm me?” I asked snickering, “I think you’re more likely to hurt me than any of them are. Will you please let me go?”

At first they were all shocked and then I saw mischief flash in Jasper’s eyes and he winked at me, which made me wonder what they were thinking. He slowly sauntered towards me and the woman and stated very clearly in his very best Texan drawl, “Andi, you’ve always been a little naïve, but now this woman has exposed us. I guess it’s time to eliminate you and this woman. We always knew this day would come.” When he finally reached my arm, the woman abandoned me and ran screaming out the back of the shop. Jasper offered his arm and I looped mine through his.

“Eliminate?” I laughed. “Well, make it quick if you must then.” And we all walked out of the shop and headed back to the hotel laughing the whole way.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

While Mardi Gras may not be until March 8th, hanging out in the Big Easy inspired me to dig around extra hard and find some ‘Nawlin’s deals to bring you with me. I know you’ll adore the gems I found.

First, I have an amazingly addictive historical tale titled “Enchanté” by rpgirl27. The year is 1858 and after being forcibly kicked out of the city of Chicago, Edward and his father decide to sell their lucrative shipping business and relocate. However, it isn’t until Edward, a very skilled poker player, manages to win a plantation during a well played hand, that they decide New Orleans is where they will begin their new life. While adjusting to southern living, they are both introduced to a whole host of unfamiliar customs, including one in which gentlemen are able to take on a consort of African descent. Is a consort the motivation he needs to leave behind his sordid and sinful ways and become a true gentleman or will his father tempt him back into his not so noble life of drugs, whisky, and loose women? The characters in this story are a quite colorful cast and the author makes you feel every emotion and goose bump as the tension between Edward and Bella increases. I have adored every second of this antebellum piece and I know you will too.
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5676810/


Next, I have a hidden little gem called “Swan Song” by nothyme. Bella lives an unremarkable life, doing an unremarkable job, but that’s all about to change and it’s not even 10am yet, because a bar just opened down the street. You may wonder what could possibly be so special about a bar, but it’s not the bar itself that will change her; it’s the proprietor that will discover her, the family that will love her, the patrons that will encourage her, and a man that will heal her when she didn’t even realize how broken she was. And in return she will give them all she has left to give, herself. I love this story and it shocked me to no end that it remains to be largely undiscovered, but I guess life does occasionally imitate art, huh?
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5728734/


My last little melodic tale is titled “Keeping the Faith” by Holly1980. It’s so difficult to watch what you love fall to pieces, but you can’t avoid the truth forever. When Katrina hit New Orleans it scattered nearly all of its residents to locations all over the U.S. Once the waters receded they slowly began to trickle back but the state of their fair city was heartbreaking. Edward had always loved her; quite possibly the only love he’s ever known, but he just couldn’t bring himself to see her in all her devastation. However, he’s about to meet a woman who embodies the very city he loves. Will her love be enough to bring home the beloved wayward son and make him reclaim who he really is?
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5960568/


Now, to go along with these fics, I'm adding two recipes that were generously provided my darling blog sister Denise, or as some many know her, LaughingTwiGirl. Since she lives down there and will be partying like a crazy person, I trust she knows how to fix the local fare.
Gumbo was mentioned a couple times in these and since this Chicken Gumbo looks really good, I suggest you make a pot:
Chicken Gumbo
1 whole chicken cut up (skin removed)
3 to 5 quarts of water or chicken stock
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 tablespoon of celery
3/4 cup parsley
2 teaspoons bell pepper
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce (down here we allllll use Lea and Perrins)
salt and pepper to taste
a few bay leaves
Roux: 1/2 cup cooking oil and 1/4 cup all purpose flour
To make a roux requires time and patience, it can burn really really easily, I know, I've done it before! But in order to have the perfect Gumbo, you have to start with a Roux. Heat a stock pot over medium to low heat. Add oil, after a few minutes, finger a little flour in it to see if it starts to bubble, if so, add your flour slowly all the while WITH A WOODEN SPOON (don't use a plastic one) stirring. Your hand and arm will get tired as you stir constantly. Don't ever stop! The color of the roux is up to you but you want to achieve a color of a Hersey Kiss like my mom says. Once you have, turn your fire off immediately and let it cool for about 10 minutes, STILL STIRRING!
Now, put the pot back on heat, medium to low, add your vegetables. Stirring to soften, about 8 to 10 minutes. Slowing add your water or chicken stock, stirring. Then add the salt, pepper, red pepper, bay leaves, and sauce. Bring to a low rolling boil. Add your chicken. Keep the pot at a slow slimmer as the chicken cooks. While this is simmering, start a pot of rice and about 3 to 4 hours your Gumbo is ready!
What would Mardi Gras be without a drink and since one of my little dealings was all about Katrina, I think a Hurricane is just what we're looking for!

Ingredients
1 ounce lemon juice
4 ounces of dark rum
4 ounces of red passion fruit cocktail mix
crushed ice
orange and cherry for garnish
Mixing Instructions
Pour lemon juice, rum and cocktail mix into a cocktail shaker. Shake vigorously 1-2 minutes. Pack crushed ice into a 10 ounce highball glass. Pour drink mixture over crushed ice. Garnish with orange and cherry.



So, I'm chillin' until next week. If you're part of my challenge, be sure to log the chapters you've reviewed for the Million Word Reading Challenge (I've been challenged to write a Carlisle Fic and I'm thinking I'm about half way through, we'll see.), Tweet (FanFicDealer), Message me on Facebook, or email (fanficdealer@gmail.com) if you want to talk shop.

The deal has been made. ;)

0 comments: